1927 | How it all started
B.E.Waters & Son Haulage Contrators is formed by Bernard Edmund Waters and his son Bernard John Waters transporting aggregate from local quarries to rail heads in the Matlock area.
1939 – 1945 | World War II
The company is nationalised by the government and placed under the control of the Ministry of War Transport, pooling the resources of all hire and reward hailers to contribute to the war effort.
1946 | Post War
B.J.Waters is set up with 3 ex-army vehicles by Bernard John Waters.
Securing the contract for supplying the gas board in Birmingham with coal from the Derbyshire and Nottinghamshire pits, to be converted into coke for producing ‘town gas’ meaning additional sub contractors were required as well as an expansion of our own fleet to beyond pre-war levels as his three sons Tim, Nick and Martin join the business.
1960’s & 1970’s | Acquisitions
The acquisition of John Gough coal merchants in Telford enabled an increase in the fleet as well as providing a base in the West Midlands. This was shortly followed by the acquisition of George Siddall, a neighbouring transport company in Darley Bridge to assist in the volume of coal and coke transport that had now become the dominant area of the business.
1980’s | International Transport
With the miners’ strike starting in 1984, one of our larger customers still required foundry coke to continue production. Without the availability in the UK, an alternative was sourced in Belgium and so began our transport services into Europe.
1990 – Present Day | Expanding Services
As customers requirements have changed, so have our services. As registered Waste Carriers, the movement of Hazardous Goods under ADR Regulations was a natural progression that was driven by our customers needs. This also drove the expansion on the George Siddall side of the business, with the introduction of Hiab’s, Tail Lifts and Moffetts fitted to a range of vehicles to suit varying customer requirements.